Welcome to Friesen Sport & Performance Psychology
Leveraging the science of sport and performance psychology, executive coaching, and cognitive neuroscience to
maximize personal and professional potential
To listen to Dr. Friesen on the various podcasts he has been a guest on, read Dr. Friesen’s published articles, or read articles he has been quoted in, click HERE
My book ACHIEVE is available in Kindle format or paperback on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca
If you like to listen to your books, ACHIEVE is also available in audiobook format through Audible.com or iTunes!
Click here to listen to a sample of the Achieve:
To learn more about how the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers are using neurofeedback and biofeedback, to improve their game, click HERE.
For how the New York Jets quarterback Josh McCown used neurofeedback to improve his game, click HERE.
For one video blogger’s experience trying to improve her daily performance with a brief trial of neurofeedback, watch the video below:
Professional baseball players also use neurofeedback:
We offer the same training at Friesen Sport & Performance Psychology.
Want to learn more about Concussions? In 2017 I had the honour to serve as the invited guest editor of a special CONCUSSION issue for the Canadian Psychological Association’s national magazine, Psynopsis. To see my introductory article ( The Role of Psychology in the “Concussion Crisis”) and the other articles in the magazine, click HERE. To download the PDF version click HERE.
Recently experienced a concussion? Please see the Sports Neuropsychological Society Return to School-Play Fact Sheet to see the latest guidelines for returning to school or sport.
To learn more about concussions, more significant TBIs, and how to treat them, listen to Dr. Friesen’s interview on the Heal Better Fast podcast with Dr. Michael Pound by clicking HERE.
To learn more about the latest on how we now assess and treat concussions from my colleague, Dr. Robert Conder (former Carolina Hurricanes team neuropsychologist), watch the videos below:
Looking for treatments for Concussion or other Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)?
Or, are you a elite athlete or high achiever looking for treatment for mental health difficulties (e.g, ADHD, cognitive issues, depression, anxiety, stress, PTSD, insomnia, anger/irritability, or impulse control/addictions issues)?
If so, visit our treatment website NiagaraNeuropsychology.com to learn about the various treatment options we provide including:
-Psychological Treatments such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and Acceptance & Commitment Therapy
-Other Neuromodulation techniques such as Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES), Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS), and Transcranial Photobiomodulation.
For athletes and other high performers who can’t attend neurofeedback sessions in person, we NOW OFFER A REMOTE NEUROFEEDBACK/BIOFEEDBACK OPTION where you train out of your own home or place of work under Dr. Friesen’s supervision. Contact us for more details.
In addition to neurofeedback/biofeedback and other forms of neuromodulation (click HERE for more information), we are now offering the Low Energy Neurofeedback System (LENS), also known as High Performance Neurofeedback (HPN), Microcurrent Neurofeedback, Direct Neurofeedback, or Low-Intensity Pulsed Transcranial Electrical Stimulation (LIP-tES), to help with peak performance and those with TBI/Concussions and other difficulties.
Preliminary research has found such treatment effective for those with TBI/Concussions. Here are some examples of TBI/Concussion/Post-Concussion Syndrome research:
- University of California summary of MEG study of HPN treatment of veterans with Mild TBI/Concussion/Post-Concussion Syndrome: Click HERE and HERE
- Dr. Stephen Larsen’s article in the journal Biofeedback titled The Special Applicability of the LENS Form of Neurofeedback to TBI: Click HERE
- Multisite case series of retired NFL players with multiple concussions & Post-Concussion Syndrome treated with Direct Neurofeedback: Click HERE
- Dr. Stephen Larsen’s clinical outcomes study using LENS on 100 patients in the Journal of Neurotherapy: Click HERE
- Dr. Corydon Hammond’s case study and qEEG analysis of a young woman with a severe TBI in the Journal of Neurotherapy: Click HERE
Videos of patient and athlete experiences and other information on LENS and related treatments:
- Patient success stories: Click HERE and HERE
- ABC News stories on research and treatment with football players: Click HERE and HERE
- Former NFL players, Jessie Sapolu, Kermit Alexander, & Craig McEwen’s, experiences with repeated concussions and treatment with Direct Neurofeedback: Click HERE
- Former NFL players, Mark Robinson and Mark Cotney’s experiences with repeated concussions and treatment with HPN: Click HERE
- Former NFL player, Gerry Wunsch’s, experience with repeated concussions and treatment with HPN: Click HERE
- Segment on The Doctors TV show: Click HERE
- Young woman with Cerebral Palsy and a TBI treated with LENS: Click HERE
Interested in learning how to keep your brain healthy and sharp as you age? Drs. Robert and Alanna Conder and I recently published a review article in OBM Geriatrics where we outline ways to promote healthy neuro-cognitive aging.
In our article we cover: